Crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside, this gluten-free version of the summer classic gets an extra burst of flavor when dipped in spicy honey.
1. Place 1½ cups rice flour in a shallow baking dish and set aside. In a large bowl, whisk remaining 1½ cups rice flour with the baking soda, onion powder, garlic powder, and 1 tsp salt. Stir in 1½ cups water to form a batter.
2. In a heavy, deep 12-inch skillet, heat the oil on medium-high until hot but not smoking (about 325°F on a deep-fry thermometer).
3. Meanwhile, dip the chicken into wet batter, letting excess drip off. Then dip into reserved rice flour, tossing to coat. Place on a large sheet of parchment.
4. Add half of the chicken to the hot oil. Fry 13-20 min., until cooked through and to an internal temperature of 165 F, turning occasionally and adjusting heat as needed to maintain temperature. Repeat frying with remaining chicken.
5. While chicken fries, arrange a wire rack over a large sheet of foil. Transfer fried chicken to rack and season with remaining ¼ tsp salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together the honey, hot sauce, and black pepper. Serve chicken with hot honey for dipping.