1. In a large skillet bring water and salt to a boil. Add Brussels sprouts.
2. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 3 minutes. Drain and reserve Brussels sprouts.
3. Season chicken with Italian seasoning and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Brown chicken then add garlic and onions. Cook, stirring frequently, 5 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
5. Add broth and rice and stir well to combine. Top rice mixture with reserved Brussels sprouts. Bring to a boil. Cover and remove from heat.
6. Let stand 5 minutes or until rice is tender and all liquid is absorbed. Stir in zest and cheese. Garnish with basil, if desired.