Football season is chili season. This easy recipe offers the great taste of chili without the beef, and in soup form. Make sure you plan in advance, as the beans take 2 to 3 hours to cook. Make enough to last you a few days—this hearty soup keeps well refrigerated and the flavors improve as it sits.
1. Rinse, sort and soak beans. Drain and empty them into a large pot.
2. Add boiling water, garlic and onion powder, thyme and marjoram.
3. Cover and simmer until beans are tender (2 1/2 - 3 hours). Don't let beans boil dry. Add hot water as needed.
4. Mash beans if desired to make a thicker soup.
5. Add tomatoes (cut smaller if desired), chili powder, salt, pepper and chilies.
6. Heat at least 10 minutes to blend flavors.
Makes 5 to 6 cups of soup.