The unmistakable taste of apple cider is captured in doughnut form in this incredible fall breakfast treat. But who says you have to eat doughnuts in the morning? Serve them with a scoop of ice cream for a delicious dessert, too.
1. Boil apple cider until it is reduced by half, about 8 minutes. Cool.
2. Cream sugar and shortening until smooth.
3. Add egg and mix well.
4. Stir in buttermilk and reduced cider.
5. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg.
6. Add dry ingredients to liquid and mix just enough to combine.
7. Transfer dough to a lightly floured cutting board and pat to 1/2 inch in thickness.
8. Cut out the doughnuts, reserving the holes and scraps to be rolled out again.
9. Heat 3 inches of oil to 375º F.
10. Fry the doughnuts, a few at a time, turning once or twice until brown on both sides and cooked through, about 4 minutes.
11. To make glaze: Mix confectioner's sugar with 1/8 cup apple cider until smooth. Drain doughnuts on paper towels and glaze while warm. Serve warm.