To make the jam:
Step 1: In a medium pot, use a potato masher to crush strawberries (or whatever soft, juicy fruit you like) with lemon juice and vanilla until mashed but still chunky. Stir in 1/2 cup sugar and let stand 20 minutes.
Step 2: In a medium bowl, whisk together pectin and remaining 1 cup sugar until combined. Add pectin mixture to strawberries. Stir together thoroughly for 3 minutes, making sure there are no lumps.
Step 3: Transfer jam to small jars. Seal lids and allow jam to set at room temperature for 1 hour. Store finished jam in the freezer for up to three months or in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
1. The key to this recipe is pectin, which creates the jam-like consistency. Be sure to use pectin that is labeled “no cook” or “instant.”
2. Double check the ratio of pectin to sugar and fruit on the package. Different brands may vary in gelling strength.
3. Portion jam in small, individual serving jars.
4. Be sure to leave at least 1/2 inch of headspace in each filled jar to ensure a tight seal and prevent any jam from bubbling out.
5. Thaw frozen jam in the refrigerator before eating.
Try it with our recipe for Slow Cooker Strawberry Vanilla Jam