The sweetness of carrots and richness of Cheddar come together in this velvety soup served up in edible bowls.
1. Arrange 1 oven rack 6 inches from broiler heat source. Preheat oven to 325℉.
2. In a medium pot, heat the oil on medium-high. Add the onions, carrots, and curry powder. Cook 8 min., until onions are golden, stirring often. Add the vegetable broth. Heat to a boil on high. Reduce heat and simmer 10 min., until carrots are very tender.
3. Meanwhile, cut a thin slice off the top of each roll. Remove insides of each roll, leaving ½-inch shell. Place on a baking sheet and toast in oven 7 min., until edges are crisp. Grate the cheese.
4. Remove pot from heat. In a blender or with immersion blender, carefully purée mixture until smooth. Return soup to pot and reheat on medium. Add two-thirds of cheese, stirring until cheese has melted. Stir in cream. Remove from heat. Season with salt to taste.
5. Ladle soup into each toasted bread bowl on baking sheet. Garnish with remaining cheese and broil until cheese melts. Season with pepper to taste.